This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6293 / 52°37'45"N
Longitude: -1.0454 / 1°2'43"W
OS Eastings: 464705
OS Northings: 303931
OS Grid: SK647039
Mapcode National: GBR 9P3.0J5
Mapcode Global: WHFKP.X5BN
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190769
Location: Thurnby and Bushby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Thurnby and Bushby
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Thurnby St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 SW MAIN STREET (North Side)
29.12.66 Church of St. Luke
Church. C12 - C15, much rebuilt in and new chancel of 1870-3. Rebuilding
by Slater and Carpenter. Granite rubble stone. Coursed squared ironstone
and ashlar limestone tower. Parapetted leaded roofs with stone coped gables
and finials. Buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Central tower,
nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages of C12, late C13 and
mid C14 with 4 circular piers with many scalloped capitals, 2-lights above
to N and S, clock face, 1-lights to E and W, and in upper stage of ashlar,
4 2-light bell openings, diagonal buttresses, frieze with gargoyles, battlements
and crocketted pinnacles. C19 NE stair turret. Nave has W window with Geometric
tracery, 3 bay arcades with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, 3
2-light clerestory windows either side, probably mid C14, and C19 3 bay low-pitch
tie beam roof. C19 N aisle with N door and 5 windows. Intersected tracery
with daggers. C19 chancel : the sedilia either side with black marble shafts,
2 piscinas, and E window with stained glass of 1913. Boarded wagon roof supported
by carved wooden angels on stone corbels. Tile (probably Minton) floor.
S aisle has 4 windows : Intersected tracery with daggers, and stained glass
of 1929, 1885, 1887 and 1933. Piscina and double sedilia. S doorway, the
arch with double hollow chamfer. C19 S porch, with part of doorway arch decorated
with zig-zag built into it. Tub-shaped font on eight-shafted foot, probably
late C13. Painting of Ascension, probably Venetian c1600, or copy. Thurnby
Parish Church guide, 1974, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK6470503931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings