This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4398 / 51°26'23"N
Longitude: 0.1539 / 0°9'14"E
OS Eastings: 549800
OS Northings: 173400
OS Grid: TQ498734
Mapcode National: GBR S0.1GG
Mapcode Global: VHHNZ.M27L
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 17 December 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198687
Location: Bexley, London, DA5
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Bexley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bexley St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
The Manor House
TQ 4973 13/21
The Manor of Bexley belonged to the Archbishop of Canterbury until 1536, when
it was sold to Oxford University. Part of the present manor house may date
from soon after that, although the site was occupied by a previous building.
A north wing was added in the early Cl9.
Earlier part is 2 storeys, stuccoed, with 3 gables to south and 2 to west.
Sash windows in flush frames; bars removed. Parapet. Slate roof. Later north
wing; yellow brick, 5 windows of 3 lights, central entrance in ornate arched
stone surround, with broad panelled pilasters, keystone to arch, cornice and
blocking course. Bracketed eaves, hipped slate roof. Return has simple 3-light
window to ground storey, with splayed head set in base of sunken frame which
ornaments whole wall.
Listing NGR: TQ4980073400
Other nearby listed buildings