This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2712 / 51°16'16"N
Longitude: -0.3983 / 0°23'53"W
OS Eastings: 511829
OS Northings: 153664
OS Grid: TQ118536
Mapcode National: GBR HG1.83K
Mapcode Global: VHFVK.19SW
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288656
Location: Effingham, Guildford, Surrey, KT24
Civil Parish: Effingham
Built-Up Area: Leatherhead
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Effingham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 15SW EFFINGHAM C.P. CHURCH STREET
6/76 Church of St.
Church. C12 origin with south transept of c1250, chancel C14, nave, aisle and
western tower 1888 by W. J. Shearburn. Random flint rubble, cut and knapped in
tower and nave, with ashlar dressings and quoins. Plain tiled roofs. Short
tower to west, nave with south aisle and added porch, transept to south and
chancel to east. Tower: offset buttresses to west end, 2 storeys under battle-
mented parapet. 3 lancets, linked under continuous hood mould, with louvered
openings in 3 stages of top stage. C19 Perpendicular style window to west end;
over C19 double doors in stone surround. 3 bay,buttressed,nave with ogee-arch,
2-light tracery windows under stone voussoir heads to north side. 2 bay chancel
with Y tracery single light windows and 2-light window to north under segmental
label moulding. (C14). C14 window to east vestry to south flanking chancel.
Gabled C19 porch with simple arched surround to double doors.
Interior: 4 bay south arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Chancel arch
with 3 orders of jamb shafts under plain capitals. Panelled wood ceilings with
billeted wall plates to nave and chancel. 2 bay transept with braced crownpost
roof and quoined surrounds to windows.
Fittings: Marble and gilt reredos, early C20. Late C19 pulpit with ogee arched
Marble Font: round bowl on centre stem with 4 siennese marble detached pillason
keyhole step plinth. Piscina to south wall of chapel. Water stoup by South Door.
Stained glass window: To north wall at junction with chancel; by Heaton Bulter
and Baynes 1911. Mosaic and terracotta panels flanking the reredos depict Gabriel
and Oriel. By Caesar Czarnikow 1911.
Monuments: White stone tablets in chancel. Remainder of monuments moved to
North Wall: Various tablets including one to Maria Parratt. Died 1844,by
William Pistell. In neo-classical style with grey stone,arched,ground and
reclining mourning figure on a couch. Further tablets to south wall. It is
possible that the transept was built by the monks of Merton Priory.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 207.
Listing NGR: TQ1182953664
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings