This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5296 / 52°31'46"N
Longitude: -0.8227 / 0°49'21"W
OS Eastings: 479964
OS Northings: 293067
OS Grid: SP799930
Mapcode National: GBR CT6.GT7
Mapcode Global: VHDQN.PPG5
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190987
Location: Medbourne, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Civil Parish: Medbourne
Built-Up Area: Medbourne
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Six Saints circa Holt
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 7993 MAIN STREET (West Side)
8/84 Church of St. Giles
Church. C13-C15 with C17 S porch, chancel of 1876 and restored 188O-1. Chancel
by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone and Collyweston
slate and leaded roofs with stone coped gables and finials. Buttresses with
set-offs. W tower, nave, S aisle, N and S transepts, E aisle to S transept,
chancel, and S porch. Tower of C13 (lower part) and C15 (upper part) and
of 3 stages with setback buttresses, W door, window, SW stair with 1-lights,
S 1-light, 4 2-light bell openings, clock faces to E and S, and battlements.
Triple chamfered arch to nave,the inner on semi-circular responds. N window,
the tracery with mouchettes, and N door. c1300 double chamfered N transept
arch with semi-circular responds. 3 bay restored S arcade with circular piers.
C19 3 bay polygonal wagon type roof. N transept now vestry/meeting room,
probably altered C17, with 3-light stone mullion windows (bases of shafts
remain ). Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner on polygonal responds.
Chancel has 3 N windows, 2 S windows, sedilia and 2 niches, and E window with
Geometric tracery filled with stained glass of 1875. C19 roof similar to
nave. Many moulded arch to S transept aisle with keeled responds. S transept
of late C13 has 3 bay arcade with chamfered and moulded arches on octagonal
piers and above the responds 2 carved figures to N and figure to S. Niche,
piscina and triple sedilia. S transept has C19 roof similar to nave, and
the transept E aisle a mostly restored C15 roof. Large transept window with
restored Curvilinear tracery and N window with C20 stained glass. In S aisle
2 restored Perp windows. Early C14 S doorway with ballflower decoration.
C17 S porch with rounded arch and pair of wooden gates. C13 round font with
4 shafts at corners. C19 base and probably C17 octagonal bell-shape wooden
cover. In S transept a tomb recess with wide cusped trefoil arch and upper
2/3 of effigy of priest. Fine marble wall monument to Edward Conyers, died
1701. Painted Royal Arms of 1778. V.C.H. Vol V, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SP7996493067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings