History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Knapp House

A Grade II Listed Building in South Petherton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.948 / 50°56'52"N

Longitude: -2.8063 / 2°48'22"W

OS Eastings: 343450

OS Northings: 116816

OS Grid: ST434168

Mapcode National: GBR MF.NJV9

Mapcode Global: FRA 560L.VXF

Entry Name: Knapp House

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264249

Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: South Petherton

Built-Up Area: South Petherton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
South Petherton

Listing Text

SOUTH PETHERTON CP SOUTH STREET (East side)
ST4316
7/164 No 1
(Knapp House)
19.4.61

GV II

Detached house. C17 origins, extensively altered in earlier C19. Ham stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind high
parapet; stone chimney stacks. Two storeys, 6 bays, of which bays 1 and 2 are set lower and probably of a separate
build. Plinth, cornice, plain parapet: sash windows in plain openings; 16-pane upper bays 1 and 2, 20-pane upper bays
3, 4 and 5; C20 small-pane casements lower bays 1 and 2, then large 20-pane sashes bays 3 and 4; bay 6 is set higher
and has a bow front, with matching windows below but plain sashes above, in pairs of windows set on the curve: to lower
bay 5 an elliptical arch with pair of part-glazed doors, protected by an open stone porch having early pattern Doric
columns and pilasters, paired, with plain entablature and flat roof. Matching 2-bay south front, the upper windows
blind. Interior not seen. The house known as Naphouse by 1778. In 1934 became a Roman Catholic Mass Centre, being
relaced by a new church in 1961; it then became St Elizabeth's House for Elderly Ladies. (VCH, Vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4345016816

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.