This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4964 / 52°29'46"N
Longitude: -1.0307 / 1°1'50"W
OS Eastings: 465905
OS Northings: 289157
OS Grid: SP659891
Mapcode National: GBR 9QN.J72
Mapcode Global: VHDQR.2JZ4
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191357
Location: Laughton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE17
Civil Parish: Laughton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Laughton St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 68 NE LAUGHTON LAUGHTON
4/30 Church of St Luke
Parish church. C13, C18, restored 1879-80 by Charles Kirk of Sleaford. Nave with
west bellcote, chancel, vestry. Cobblestone and ironstone rubble with ashlared
quoins. Graded Swithland slate roofs. Coped gables with kneelers. Moulded iron-
stone cornice. West wall has central buttress with set-off band with C13
chamfered lancet below. To south, a diagonal buttress and to north an angle
buttress, both with set-offs. Above, surmounting to gable, a stone bellcote with
coped gable with kneelers and chamfered arched opening with engaged shafts with
capitals and bases. Heavily restored 1879-82. North wall has 3 pairs of C19
chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds, separated by 2 buttresses. Blocked C13
arcades are visible and to east there is a blocked C13 pointed arch piscina.
South wall has central doorway with moulded pointed arch, hoodmould with head-
stops, and engaged shafts with capitals and bases. Double plank doors. To west
and east, single buttresses with set-offs each followed by a single pair of C19
chamfered lancets. Buttress at south east corner. Blocked C13 arcades visible.
Cross finial on east gable. Chancel is C19, in C13 style. Ironstone plinth with
chamfered ashlar set-offs. South wall has central priest's doorway with
shouldered semi-circular arch with hoodmould and stylised stops, and plank door.
To east and west, single pairs of chamfered lancets with hoodmoulds and foliate
stops. 3-light pointed arch east window, with geometrical tracery and hoodmould
with stops. Cross finial on gable. North vestry has diagonal buttresses and
2-light chamfered arch east window. Interior: rendered walls. West lancet in
large, round-headed splayed reveal. Pairs of C19 lancets in north and south walls
of nave have interior shafts. Pointed, double-chamfered chancel arch with hood-
mould with stops, and responds with capitals and bases. North wall of chancel has
4-centred chamfered arch with floral corbels, leading to vestry, and a trefoil
head piscina. South wall, window has interior shafts. Sedilia with shafts with
annulets, piscina on floral corbel. East window has C13 triple moulded jambs,
houldmould with headstops and plain cill. C19 roofs. C13 octagonal bowl and stem
font, with roll-moulded sides and moulded C13 capital inverted as a base. Late
C18 altar table and altar rails. Late C19 pews. C18 chest. Early C20 lectern
and organ. Monuments: various late C18 and C19 tablets including a late C18
marble memorial to Shuttleworth family, on north wall of chancel, with a pediment
topped by an urn, and a panel at the base with a weeping figure leaning upon an
urn. On south wall of nave a slate tablet with armorial brass inset, to Col
William Cole (d 1698) Lord of the Manor and a Commission Officer in Rayner Armies.
VCH, V, 218-9.
Listing NGR: SP6590589157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings