History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Rooms

A Grade II Listed Building in South Petherton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9486 / 50°56'54"N

Longitude: -2.8091 / 2°48'32"W

OS Eastings: 343258

OS Northings: 116880

OS Grid: ST432168

Mapcode National: GBR MF.NJ58

Mapcode Global: FRA 560L.MG2

Entry Name: Church Rooms

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 18 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264244

Location: South Petherton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: South Petherton

Built-Up Area: South Petherton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: South Petherton with the Seavingtons and the Lambrooks

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
South Petherton

Listing Text

SOUTH PETHERTON CP ST JAMES'S STREET (West side, off)
ST4316
7/159 Church Rooms
formerly listed as Old School
(Boys))
19.4.61

GV II

Former Church School, now meeting rooms. Dated 1828. Ham stone rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between
stepped coped gables; brick chimney stacks to north gable. Two storeys, 2 bays. Plinth; chamfer-mullioned windows in
chamfered recesses, of 3 lights, with horizontal-bar insert, no label; between upper windows an oval plaque inscribed
'Built by subscription 1828'. On north gable two 2-light windows at ground floor level, and from approach steps to
north-east gate of the Church of SS Peter and Paul (q.v.) a plain basement doorway; modern casement window above. From
south gable a wing wall with coping extends southwards, masking a lean-to building, with 2 boarded doors in
cambered-arched doorways, and high in the south gable a 4-light mullioned window with gable vent over. Interior not
seen. Built as the boys charity school and Sunday School; it was replaced by larger buildings in 1879. Much of the cost
actually borne by the vicar, Henry Bond, and J.B.Edmonds, who provided also the site and the stone. (VCH, Vol III,
1974).


Listing NGR: ST4325816880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.