History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thurloxton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.0686 / 51°4'6"N

Longitude: -3.0367 / 3°2'12"W

OS Eastings: 327458

OS Northings: 130425

OS Grid: ST274304

Mapcode National: GBR M4.DSM5

Mapcode Global: FRA 46J9.8SW

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 29 March 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 269423

Location: Thurloxton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA2

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Thurloxton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text



7/157 Church of St Giles



Anglican Parish church. Norman; C14; predominantly C15; C19 restoration including addition of north aisle of 1868.
Random red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, triple Roman tile roofs, coped verge with a finial. Nave with south
porch and north aisle, chancel with north vestry, west tower. Perpendicular, aisle Middle Pointed. Embattled 2-stage
tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window dated 1500, west door.
Two bay nave, square-headed 2 and 3-light windows, each light cusped, stopped labels, leaded lights. South porch with a
semi-circular head outer door opening, probably C18, dropped keystone, moulded imposts, paired doors, lamp over. Three
bay North aisle with 3 cross-gables, 2-light windows. Two bay chancel, square-headed 2-light windows, leaded lights,
blocked priests door. Inner doorway to porch with an early door; interior plastered, nave and chancel under C15/C16
ceiled wagon roofs with moulded ribs and bosses. Three bay arcade to aisle. Norman tub font with a C17 cover. Piscina.
Rood screen with 3 arches, dated 1734 the middle containing the doorway, a reading and a prayer desk, pulpit in similar
style with 4 carved figures and back-panelling. C18 pews; some C19 pews. C18 and C19 monuments, one by Pollard of
Taunton; Jacobean altar table, C18 decalogue plaques under tower with painted figures, Arms of Geo,II. C14, C15, C16
bells. Stained glass: East window of 1883; aid C19 West window; 2 Victoria Jubilee windows, C19 organ, Parson
Woodforde, the Cl8 diarist famous for "Diary of a Country Parson' was priest-in-charge for 3 months; (Pevsner N.,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Church Guide, undated),

Listing NGR: ST2745830425

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.