This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5264 / 52°31'35"N
Longitude: -1.0909 / 1°5'27"W
OS Eastings: 461770
OS Northings: 292449
OS Grid: SP617924
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q6.M01
Mapcode Global: VHCT2.1RMM
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel and Manse
Listing Date: 11 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191226
Location: Arnesby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Arnesby
Built-Up Area: Arnesby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Arnesby St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
ST. PETER'S ROAD (East Side)
Baptist Chapel & Manse.
Baptist Chapel with adjoining Sunday School and Manse. Chapel and Sunday School
of 1799, Manse largely of later date but incorporating core of earlier buildings.
Chapel is brick with hipped Swithland slate roof. Imposing main front with
outer doorways with round headed arches and fanlights with delicately wrought
glazing bars. Central 2-light casement window with cambered brick head, and
3 others above. South elevation has paired 2-light windows with cambered brick
heads, and in the rear elevation are 2 steeply arched Y-traceried lights.
Inside, fine wood panelled gallery on 3 sides, and plaster panelled ceiling.
Sunday School is recessed to the north. It is brick with hipped Swithland
slate roof, its main elevation faces east and has round headed doorway to
left with finely wrought glazing to fanlighL. 4-light casement windows with
small panes and single opening light on each floor to its right. A brick panelled
wall on the west links this building with the Manse. This is at right angles
to the Chapel and is largely mid C19 though incorporating a building of early
C18. Brick with Welsh slate roof, 2 storeyed 2 unit plan with triple light
sash windows. The right-hand bay beyond this is rather earlier, lower in height
with Swithland slate roof. It contains doorway to left land a 2-light casement
window above it. Left-hand part of the Manse is a single storeyed range, reputedly
the earlier Chapel of 1719, subsequently outbuildings, but the existing structure
seems C19. Coped gable and curved angle to street. Its door and windows are
all new insertions. The Society of Old Particular Baptists came to Arnesby
In 1702 from Kilby where it was founded in 1667.Robert Hall (1763 to 1831)
was born here while his father was Minister. He was especially renowned for
his pulpit oratory, and also made numerous publications including "Apolopy
for the Freedom of the Press" of 1793.
Listing NGR: SP6177092449
Other nearby listed buildings