This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6691 / 52°40'8"N
Longitude: -0.6355 / 0°38'7"W
OS Eastings: 492365
OS Northings: 308804
OS Grid: SK923088
Mapcode National: GBR DT1.N4S
Mapcode Global: WHGLV.65MN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187456
Location: Whitwell, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Whitwell
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Whitwell St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 90 NW WHITWELL MAIN ROAD
8/164 Church of St. Michael
Small parish church, the earliest parts apparently of the C13, but
possibly incorporating the core of an aisle-less C12 church. Much of the
C14, though heavily restored in 1881. Sandstone rubble throughout. Nave,
south aisle and chancel. C13 west bellcote with 2 round arched openings
in paired gables. Single lancet window in W. wall. C13 south doorway,
round arched with banded outer shafts with fillet mouldings and nailhead
decoration. Medieval south porch, gabled with cross as finial, and former
sundial below the gable. S. aisle is decorated, windows with heavy
tracery and hoodmoulds with carved heads on stops. Buttresses with
gablets. Coped gables throughout and pitched roof with no parapet.
In the north wall of the nave, one blocked square window to east, and
blocked N. door.
Within, a nave of 3 bays - arcade has double chamfered arches on octagonal
piers. Easternmost pier bases have probable mortice holes for former
screen. Trefoiled piscina to east of aisle, and some medieval encaustic
tiles in aisle floor. Tiny fragment of wall painting on N. wall of nave.
Chancel of same level as nave, with barrel vaulted roof and stone cornice
with ball flower and flower decoration. Victorian traceried E. window
and reredos. C17-C18 altar rails. Much C19 stained glass and one early
C14 crucifixicion S.W. window of chancel. Pulpit possibly C18. Font,
octagonal with incised decoration, C14.
Listing NGR: SK9236508804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings