This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5874 / 52°35'14"N
Longitude: -0.7195 / 0°43'10"W
OS Eastings: 486847
OS Northings: 299610
OS Grid: SP868996
Mapcode National: GBR CSK.QXH
Mapcode Global: WHFL1.X7J9
Entry Name: The Hall
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186783
Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Uppingham
Built-Up Area: Uppingham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM HIGH STREET EAST
4/45 (south side)
10.11.55 No 56 (The Hall)
Large house, now boarding house for Uppingham School. Dated 1612 (though datestone is
a replacement) with later alterations and additions. Ashlar, with Collyweston stone
slate roof,coped gables and moulded stone ridge and end stacks. Main block U-plan.
South front,remodelled C18, is of ironstone ashlar with paler band between storeys.
Nine window range. 6/6 sash windows in raised architraves. Off-centre door in
shouldered architrave with cornice and pediment over. North front 1-3-1 with
projecting gables. Left hand gable has datestone: blocked 2-light ovolo-moulded
stone-mullioned window and 9/9 sash window beneath, in raised architrave. Right hand
gable has a similar blocked window and 2 6/6 sash windows. Central part, extended
C18, has 2 storeys of 6/6 sash windows and projecting central porch. Original wall
survives inside and retains part of 3-light mullioned window. Wing to north-east, C17
in origin (to level of cornice) heightened C19, has gabled stair turret in angle and
ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows. Tall C19 wing to west and long C19 wing to
north. Interior damaged by fire c.1970, but retains 2 stone 4-centred arched
fireplaces (reset) and a fully-panelled room (the panelling of 2 periods, probably
c.1700 and mid C18) with a fine mid C18 fireplace. Other panelling was imported to
replace that lost in the fire.
Listing NGR: SP8684799610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings