This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2554 / 51°15'19"N
Longitude: -2.4962 / 2°29'46"W
OS Eastings: 365468
OS Northings: 150804
OS Grid: ST654508
Mapcode National: GBR MV.15F1
Mapcode Global: VH89N.PQ60
Entry Name: Monastery of St Gregory the Great, Downside Abbey with Petre Cloister
Listing Date: 25 June 1986
Last Amended: 23 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295178
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268000
Location: Stratton on the Fosse, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Stratton on the Fosse
Built-Up Area: Stratton-on-the-Fosse
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012
ST 65 SE
Monastery of St Gregory
The Great, Downside
Abbey with Petre
(Formerly listed as Monastery, West Cloister, Petre Cloister
to south and Refectory forming a contiguous group, Downside Abbey
Monastery and attached cloister ranges. 1873. The south end not completed until
1899. By A M Dunn and E J Hansom. Bath stone ashlar with red tile roofs.
Rectangular double depth block with forward projecting wing where it adjoins
church and taller square tower at south end of range. Collegiate High Victorian
Gothic style. Main west front of three storeys and attics, the top two being a
later addition, also to the tower which is a full four storeys. 7 bay front made
up of projecting wing with gable and gable to return, two gabled bays, entrance
bay formed by half projecting octagonal tower with conical roof, two more gabled
bays and the tower, the bays separated by buttresses with offsets. The windows
are mainly of two narrow lights with trefoil heads and divided by a stone
mullion. The ground floor windows also have transom and hoodmould, transoms also
to the windows of the entrance tower and the top floor of the main tower. Central
bay to base of tower. Gables with stone verges and apex crosses. Battlements to
both tower parapets.
South front of tower is three bays with stair to right. East front has ground
floor treated as cloister, ten bays divided by buttresses, four gables and tower
above, with taller stair tower. Petre Cloister is single storey running from the
monastery to the school. Five light Perpendicular windows divided by buttresses.
Interior has plaster panels between ribs. Stained glass with coats of arms of
families connected with the community. Plainer cloister returns north to church
on east side but overbuilt by C20 buildings which are the guest wing of the
Abbey. Interior of monastery not inspected.
History: Built for a community of Benedictine monks founded at St Gregory's
monastery at Douai in Flanders in 1607, house re-established in England in 1795,
present estate purchased 1813.
Listing NGR: ST6546650789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings