This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6915 / 52°41'29"N
Longitude: -0.7516 / 0°45'5"W
OS Eastings: 484476
OS Northings: 311154
OS Grid: SK844111
Mapcode National: GBR CRC.8SF
Mapcode Global: WHFKG.FLBZ
Entry Name: Old Hall
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187442
Location: Langham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Langham
Built-Up Area: Langham (Rutland)
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Langham St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/12/2011
SK 8411 - 8511
CHURCH STREET (South side)
Hall, with core of 1665, extensively added to by Goodhart Rendel in 1925-30,
with a 'U' plan house backing into the original range. The old part is of
ironstone rubble coursed and squared, with sandstone dressings, and stone
tiled roof. It displays Renaissance influence in its symmetrically arranged
2½ storey facade. 5 bays with central doorway. 3-light stone mullioned
windows on ground floor, have hoodmoulds which form a continuous string
course. 1st floor windows also stone mullions. 3 full dormers above,
with coped gables with finials, and long flat hoodmoulds to 3-light mullions.
Plinth, moulded eaves cornice and angle quoins, coped gables, and slightly
moulded stone axial and gable stacks. Additional mullioned windows in
gable walls. Goodhart Rendel's wing makes this part of a double pile range.
It is large, and its outer wings form recessed gables to either side of
this early range. They are assymmetrical: that to right, dated 1925, has
a steeply pitched and wide stone tiled roof, ironstone rubble, coursed and
squared with angle quoins. Various stone mullioned windows within this
gable, assymmetrically arranged. The masonry resembles very closely that
of the original building, but the left hand wing was made with stone from
Normanton Hall, and is differently cut and laid and dated 1926. Various
stone mullioned windows in gable end, and side elevation of 3 bays, 1½
storeys, with central canted bay window with corbelled gable above mullioned
and transomed ground floor windows, and gabled dormer with finials.
Plinth, stringcourse and eaves cornice, and decorative simple frieze over
Entrance front is all by Goodhart Rendel, in ironstone rubble with sandstone
dressings. 1½ storeys, U-plan. Central door beneath gable has Ionic
columns and segmental,open pediment containing arms and scroll work. At
either end of it, a 4-light stone mullioned window, and to the right, a
large mullioned and transomed window, at intermediate height, with outer
king-mullions, set beneath. a gable. This gable is balanced by another
to left, and all 3 spring above the level of the eaves. Right hand wing
has higher ridge, and contains a 6-light mullioned and transomed window,
gable above left hand wing has 2-light mullioned windows and a gabled
dormer, and is coped by a acorn finials.
The house is set in a garden also laid out by Goodhart Rendel.
Listing NGR: SK8447611154
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings