This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5308 / 52°31'50"N
Longitude: -1.3488 / 1°20'55"W
OS Eastings: 444275
OS Northings: 292747
OS Grid: SP442927
Mapcode National: GBR 7M6.7TX
Mapcode Global: VHCSX.KNT7
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 8 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188133
Location: Burbage, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE10
District: Hinckley and Bosworth
Civil Parish: Burbage
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Burbage St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 4492 - 4592 BURBAGE CHURCH STREET (east
8.3.63 Church of St. Catherine
Parish church. 1842, by M. Habershon, incorporating some medieval
work. Vestry and organ chamber added in 1879 by W. Smith. Sandstone
ashlar and slate roofs with stone coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave
with aisles and south porch, 3-bay chancel with vestry to the north.
The 3 stage west tower has a medieval core; it is marked by offsets and
has angle buttresses, a hollow-moulded parapet string broken on each
side by a gargoyle, and a crenellated parapet. 4-centred west door
with roll-moulded surround, flanking pilasters and open pediment
breaking into a 2-light window above; this has perpendicular-style
tracery and a 2-centred arch. Rectangular loops to the second stage.
2-light transomed belfry openings with decorated tracery. Recessed
spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. The nave and aisles have buttresses at
the bay divisions and corners, and 2-centred windows containing either
Y-tracery or 3 graded lancet lights. All windows have hollow-chamfered
hood-moulds with head-stops. The south porch has a 4-centred entrance
arch and an open pediment like that of the west door. Inside is a
2-centred doorway with nail studded old oak door dated 1633 inside; it
bears decorative wrought iron work. Chancel: diagonal buttresses at
the eastern corners; hollow-chamfered string beneath a plain parapet.
Windows with cusped Y-tracery to the sides and intersecting tracery to
the east. Interior: 4-bay nave arcades of very tall pointed arches on
octagonal columns. The tower arch is of the same height but this is
medieval rather than C19 and has 3 continuous chamfered orders around a
2-centred drop arch. Pointed and roll-moulded chancel arch on triple
shafts with capitals carved as heads. On the north side of the chancel
is a 2-bay arcade giving access to the organ chamber. King-post roofs
over nave and chancel with open arcades between tie- beams and
principals. Fixtures and fittings: bellringers gallery within the
tower with Gothic balustrade. Octagonal font with panelled sides, C14
in style. Simple pine pews in nave. Red veined marble pulpit, on
stone base. Monuments: Anthony and Magdalen Grey, 9th Earl and
Countess of Kent, died 1643 and 1653; massive aedicule with paired
Ionic columns and swan neck pediment containing a coat of arms.
Blackwell Dakyns, died 1721; aedicule with Corinthian pilasters and
pronounced rounded pediment containing a coat of arms. Incised slab to
Richard Wightman , died 1568. B.O.E. p. 117.
Listing NGR: SP4427592747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings