This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6601 / 52°39'36"N
Longitude: -0.9314 / 0°55'53"W
OS Eastings: 472372
OS Northings: 307471
OS Grid: SK723074
Mapcode National: GBR BQ5.C9Z
Mapcode Global: WHFKK.NDNJ
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190599
Location: Lowesby, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Civil Parish: Lowesby
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Lowesby (Whatborough Parishes)
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 70 NW
1/71 Church of All Saints
Church. Partially C13, with much Perpendicular work restored 1859. West tower,
nave with two aisles and clerestory, chancel. Finely coursed ironstone with
limestone dressings and with continuous plinth detail. Tower is largely Perpendicular,
of banded ironstone and limestone ashlar work, buttressed, with embattled parapet
with gargoyles. Three stages with paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Blocked
pointed archway to north suggests that this wall at least may pre-date the
rest of the fabric. Buttressed south aisle of similarly banded stonework is
also Perpendicular, with plinth and parapet. Victorian porch and south doorway,
a hollow chamfered arch with hood mould. Small window over the door. Above
the porch, string course of earlier porch is visible. Windows are Perpendicular,
of three principal lights with hood moulds. Perpendicular clerestory with
paired foiled lights and heavy hood moulds. Parapet and large gargoyles.
Chancel is of finely coursed ironstone with two 2-light Perpendicular windows
to north and south. Priest's door on south with chamfered arch and hood mould.
Blocked door to north. 5-light east window. Embattled parapet with gargoyle
above fine corbel table or frieze with masks, animals etc., which continues
across the eastern gable and along the north aisle. Perpendicular north window,
and blocked doorway with octagonal shafts with simply moulded capitals visible.
Inside west tower arch is late C13. Double chamfered with round responds and
roll moulded capitals. Former steep roof line visible against its east walls.
Blocked openings in north and south walls of tower. Nave of three bays. In
the south arcade, the western respond and pier are the earlier, C13, octagonal
piers and capitals with masks in stiff leaf foliage. The other bays are slightly
later and of a plainer character but all have double chamfered arches with
hood moulds. Roof dates from restoration of 1859. Tie beams with bosses and
tracery above supported from struts on stone corbels. In the aisles the corbels
and string course of earlier roofs are visible. Octagonal responds to chancel
arch which is early C14, double chamfered. To the north is the entry to former
rood loft. In chancel sedilia to south and piscina with fluted basin. Stained
glass in chancel south and east windows of 1881 and 1897 by Ward Hughes. Font
may be C13, roughly shaped octagonal basin on rounded base. Wall memorial
in south aisle to members of Wollaston family, between 1689 and 1710, scrolly
shield capped by arms and emblems, resting on wings and a skull.
Listing NGR: SK7237207471
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings