History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigston Parva, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.504 / 52°30'14"N

Longitude: -1.3147 / 1°18'53"W

OS Eastings: 446610

OS Northings: 289782

OS Grid: SP466897

Mapcode National: GBR 7MF.Y54

Mapcode Global: VHCT4.5B99

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295237

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189043

Location: Wigston Parva, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE10

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Wigston Parva

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Sharnford with Wigston Parva

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Sapcote

Listing Text

WIGSTON PARVA CHURCH LANE
SP 48 NE (east side)


5/53 Church of St. Mary

7.10.57 II


Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C16, restored 1845 and c.l900.
Random rubble, cobbles and dressed stone with stone dressings and
plain tile roof. Brick and stone plinth. Nave and chancel under
continuous roof. West end has a central double lancet with Y
tracery and hood mould with mask stops. Above, a square wooden
bellcote with cusped openings, leaded tent roof and cross. North
side has to west a chamfered round headed C11 doorway with hood
mould and imposts. C19 close boarded door. East end has a C14
double lancet with Y tracery. South side has a central single
lancet, C19, with hood mould, and to its right, a similar lancet.
To east, a C13 single lancet. Interior has a panelled dado to
north side and west end. Roof has 2 principal rafter trusses,
C16, with cambered tie beams, that to west with a boss. Both
have V struts and collars. East end has a stained glass window,
1965. Fittings include an octagonal font removed from Hemingford,
Hunts., c.1900, an oak altar with C13 style arcading, c.1909,
panelled reredos, C19 rectangular skeleton pulpit with 2 book
rests, a double round headed framed board with Creed, and 2
similar round headed commandment boards.


Listing NGR: SP4661089782

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.