History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hext Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Somerton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0536 / 51°3'13"N

Longitude: -2.7317 / 2°43'54"W

OS Eastings: 348807

OS Northings: 128508

OS Grid: ST488285

Mapcode National: GBR MJ.FZPD

Mapcode Global: FRA 565B.FL5

Entry Name: The Hext Almshouses

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263063

Location: Somerton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Somerton

Built-Up Area: Somerton (South Somerset)

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Somerton

Listing Text

ST4828 SOMERTON CP WEST STREET (South side)

8/255 The Hext Almshouses
(formerly listed as Almshouses)

17.4.59

GV II*

Almshouses. Dated 1626 remodelled 1883 and 1967. Local lias stone cut and squared with Ham stone dressings; undulating
plain clay tile roof between coped gables having gabletted finial at east end and small stone bell turret, without
bell, to west; brick and stone chimney stacks to rear. Single storeyi 8 bays, formerly one bay to each house, but now
modified; each bay has a boarded and studded door in chamfered cambered archway, then a 2-light hollow chamfer
mullioned window, then semi-circular arched niche seats for the occupants, appearing in pairs as alternate bays were
handed; all right hand (even number bays) doors now blocked: continuous string over all openings; in centre stone
plaque with painted arms inscribed 'E.H/He hath Dispersed/abroad and Given/to the Poor/His Benevolence/Remaineth for
ever/1626", flanked by 1967 tablets recording latest restoration. Interior not seen. Started by Sir Edward Hext before
he died in 1624 and intended for 8 men; this was reduced to 4 in 1883 when the premises were remodelled. (VCH, Volume
III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4880728508

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.