This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7066 / 52°42'23"N
Longitude: -1.5052 / 1°30'18"W
OS Eastings: 433528
OS Northings: 312218
OS Grid: SK335122
Mapcode National: GBR 6HJ.B88
Mapcode Global: WHCGT.V7FD
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 24 November 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295291
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187931
Location: Measham, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Measham
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Measham St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
MEASHAM HIGH STREET
SK 31 SW
4/41 (South Side)
Church of St. Lawrence
Church of early C14 and earlier C18. Ashlar and some coursed rubble.
W tower of shortly after 1733, nave and aisles (no structural chancel)
of early C14 and Perp S.porch. Tower in classical style of 3 stages with
moulded bands, angle pilasters, 4 round arched bell openings, battlements
and pinnacles. W door dated 1679 with round arched surround having impost
blocks and keystone. Tower S wall has contemporary window with Y tracery.
Nave and aisles have moulded plinth, buttresses and diagonal buttresses with
set-offs and some battlemented finials, battlements and slate roofs. N aisle
W end has renewed small round cusped window over blocked door. N windows
have Intersected tracery, and attached to N wall an open arch probably for
gateway. NE window Reticulated tracery. SW window C19 Curvilinear tracery;
S windows Geometrical with 1 C19 Curvilinear; SE, Reticulated. E window
renewed Curvilinear. S porch with angle buttresses and close round-arched
ribbing to support ceiling and cusped 1-light to left. Nave arcades of 5
bays on quatrefoil piers with double chamfered arches. 6 bay flat-topped
3-light Perp clerestory and C19 low-pitched tie beam roof with wall-pieces
and braces on carved corbels. Complete set of oak box pews and W gallery
c1843 and mid C19 carved organ front. Fragments of medieval glass in a
S window, another with stained glass of 1866 in rich flower scrolls (Abney
memorial) and E window stained glass of 1910. Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK3352812218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings