History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Cressage, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6323 / 52°37'56"N

Longitude: -2.6039 / 2°36'13"W

OS Eastings: 359227

OS Northings: 304009

OS Grid: SJ592040

Mapcode National: GBR BQ.79N1

Mapcode Global: WH9DD.Z37B

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 24 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295354

English Heritage Legacy ID: 258816

Location: Cressage, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Cressage

Built-Up Area: Cressage

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cressage

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Leighton

Listing Text

CRESSAGE C.P. HARLEY ROAD
SJ 50 SE
(east side)
4/34 Christ Church
GV II
Parish church. 1841 by Edward Haycock. Limestone ashlar, machine
tile roofs with coped verges and moulded eaves cornices. Nave and
chancel in one with short sanctuary and integral west tower. Tower:
narrow in 3 stages with embattled parapet and heavy corner pinnacles;
broad lancets with hoodmoulds to belfry, west window has 2 pointed
lights and circular opening above, pointed double-chamfered west
doorway with hoodmould. Nave and chancel in one: buttressed in 5
bays with broad lancets linked by continuous hoodmould; short
sanctuary has an east window of 3 stepped lancets. Interior: triple-
lancet east window contains roundels of mid-C19 stained glass in Flemish
style by David Evans of Shrewsbury (c.f. Church of St Mary, Harley C.P.),
given by Revd. Richard Scott, organ gallery set on cast-iron pillars
at west end; re-used C17 wainscot panelling to nave, medieval glazed
floor tiles in sanctuary; octagonal pulpit made up of re-used panelling
(with inscription dated 1635) from pew in former church of St Samson;
the circular Romanesque-style font (1842) is said to be a copy of that
formerly in St Samson's. That church (N.G.R. SJ 5893 0436) was demolished
in 1840 and Christ Church built as its replacement. B.o.E., p.116;
V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.78; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire,
Part 6 (1903), Pp.487-8; Appendix p.986.


Listing NGR: SJ5922704009

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.