This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9774 / 51°58'38"N
Longitude: -0.3355 / 0°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 514421
OS Northings: 232296
OS Grid: TL144322
Mapcode National: GBR H5F.S17
Mapcode Global: VHGNK.4KHJ
Entry Name: Farm Building at Entrance to Yard at Hammond's Farm
Listing Date: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295388
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163146
Location: Pirton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Pirton
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pirton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
PIRTON BURGE END LANE
TL 13 SW (East side)
1/136 Farm building at
- entrance to yard at
2 adjoining granaries, now farm buildings. C16 or earlier. Timber frame
on stuccoed brick sill, some wattle and daub panels remain in situ, some
lath and plaster internally, dark weatherboarded externally with steep
pitched roofs now of corrugated iron. 2 contemporary tall 3-bays
buildings, originally of 2 storeys, mutually at right angles facing S
and E, with a vane on the E gable of the N range. This has a 5-lights
diamond mullioned window at the upper level on N wall, but the heavy
floor beams have been cut away leaving the tenons and bracketed seatings
on the posts. Similar blocked window in E bay over door on S side.
Chamfered jowled posts, slender curved braces to tie-beams, mid-height
rail jointed in-line, slender straight tension braces cut into backs of
wall studs. Edge-halved scarf joint with bridled butts, in wallplate.
Inclined queen-struts in clasped-purlin roof. Similar W range
structurally separate, retains 2 bays of heavy floor structure. Roof
renewed with inclined queen-posts, and squint-butted scarf. Double doors
to S bay made from engraved (? temporary) memorial boards with groups of
names annually from 1918 to 1920. Unusually extensive granary provision
in sophisticated timber framed buildings.
Listing NGR: TL1442132296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings