History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Forge and Adjoining Wall to South-East

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Lydeard, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0602 / 51°3'36"N

Longitude: -3.1884 / 3°11'18"W

OS Eastings: 316810

OS Northings: 129658

OS Grid: ST168296

Mapcode National: GBR LX.FJ1P

Mapcode Global: FRA 4669.X8W

Entry Name: The Old Forge and Adjoining Wall to South-East

Listing Date: 25 February 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270248

Location: Bishop's Lydeard, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Bishop's Lydeard

Built-Up Area: Bishops Lydeard

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bishops Lydeard

Listing Text

ST1629 BISHOP'S LYDEARD CP MOUNT STREET (West side)

10/36 No 24
(The Old Forge) and adjoining
wall to South-east
(No 24 formerly listed)
25.2.55

II

Cottage. Probably C15, enlarged early C17, C18 and altered mid C20. Rendered over rubble, whitewashed rubble extension
to rear, thatched with gablet end fronting Mount Street, pantiled extension, brick stack left of centre, rear gable end
and rising from eave on right return. Open hall derivating extended at rear. One and a half storeys, 3-light arched
wooden casement in gablet end, similar ground floor right with 2-light casement left, ground floor projects forward
about 500mm. Entrance on left return. Interior not viewed; reputedly a medieval hall house with inner room, jettied out
solar above, ceiled probably early C17 and enlarged to rear C18. Reputedly contains 3 pairs of jointed crucks,
chamfered beams wattle and daub infill. Red sandstone random rubble wall with pantile coping adjoining property on
North North-east side about 2 metres high, with gable over pointed arch opening, plank and stud door, wall swept up at
further end to square gatepiers completely obscured by ivy at time of survey (April 1983). (VW Report, unpublished
SRO, December 1981).


Listing NGR: ST1679729651

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.