History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel and Cottage Adjoining, with Chapel Forecourt Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9504 / 50°57'1"N

Longitude: -2.9281 / 2°55'41"W

OS Eastings: 334898

OS Northings: 117183

OS Grid: ST348171

Mapcode National: GBR M8.NHYV

Mapcode Global: FRA 46RL.P29

Entry Name: Chapel and Cottage Adjoining, with Chapel Forecourt Railings

Listing Date: 29 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263981

Location: Ilton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilton

Built-Up Area: Ilton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilton

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text

ILTON CP CHURCH ROAD (South side)
ST31NW POUND CORNER

2/97 Chapel and cottage adjoining,
with chapel forecourt railings
-

GV II

Cottage and attached chapel. (a) Cottage: Circa 1800. Ham stone rubble; thatched roof with half-hip to north, plain
gable to south; brick chimney stacks. Two storeys, 2 bays. Small casement windows with horizontal bars, earlier type
frames, all 3-light, with timber lintols below; to right a boarded door with glazed panel in heavy frame, in recess
with concrete lintol over; iron wall tie plate above door. Single casement window in south gable. Interior not seen.
Attached on north side is (b) the Chapel: Dated 1874. Cut and squared grey lias stone with Ham stone dressings; Welsh
slate roof with stepped coped west gable having obelisk finial. 'T'-plan, with north crosswing, single-storey, 3-bay
west elevation. Plain lancet windows diamond-leaded, 2 to gable of bay 1 flanking a pointed-arched doorway; in corner
north of bay 2 a stone porch with pointed arched doorway: datestone high in west gable. Linking the two buildings a
yellow brick wall with pointed arched doorway. Interior not seen. About 2 metres west of chapel a low stone wall capped
with arrowhead railings about one metre tall, with gate to match opposite doorway; stone wall returns back to chapel at
north and south ends, all adding to the setting of the buildings.


Listing NGR: ST3489817183

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.