History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deer Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Scampston, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.1588 / 54°9'31"N

Longitude: -0.6653 / 0°39'55"W

OS Eastings: 487250

OS Northings: 474483

OS Grid: SE872744

Mapcode National: GBR RNSB.RY

Mapcode Global: WHGCG.RQCP

Entry Name: Deer Park House

Listing Date: 10 October 1966

Last Amended: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295449

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329387

Location: Scampston, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Scampston

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scampston with Wintringham

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 87 SE
(south-west side, off)
Deer Park House (formerly listed
as "Deer House or Gamekeeper's
10.10.66 Lodge in Scampston Park").
- II

Deerhouse, now farmhouse. c1780 for Sir William St Quintin, 5th Baronet,
with C19 and C20 extensions. Restored c1980. Red brick in random bond,
originally whitewashed, with sandstone dressings; pantile and tile roofs.
Square on plan with later extensions at rear. 2-storey, canted centre bay
flanked by 1-storey side bays. Central door of 4 sunk panels, beneath ogee-
arched fanlight with round Gothick glazing, flanked by similarly detailed
windows on each side and in side bays. First-floor windows are pointed
Gothick-glazed sashes. Stone sills to all windows. All ground-floor
openings have moulded brick hoods with return stops, and ground-floor
windows retain original leaded glazing. Raised dentilled first-floor string
forms eaves cornice over side bays. Similar eaves cornice to centre bay.
Castellated parapets with flat coping stones, shaped in the centre over
recessed blind trefoil. Parapets mask central pitched roof, with
2 rear stacks, and pent flanking roofs. Rear: openings much altered.
Against wall is a timber-cased cast-iron pump by W Smiddy of Malton. Left
and right returns: original arcaded deer shelters now blocked by C20
windows. Pointed Gothick-glazed windows to first floor. Raised dentilled
eaves band. Interior: not fully recorded. Doors and shutters of 6 raised
and fielded panels throughout. Ground-floor chimney-piece and overmantel.
First-floor room has plaster ceiling depicting garlanded hunting horns,
enclosed in a quatrefoil border, and plaster moulded wall panels. C19 and
C20 extensions not of special interest.

In the entry for the following :

SE 87 SE
(south-west side, off)
8/47 Deer Park House (formerly listed
as "Deer House or Gamekeeper's
10.10.66 Lodge in Scampston Park")
the grade shall be upgraded to grade II*, and the first two sentences of the
description shall be amended by the following:
"Deerhouse and banqueting house, now house. 1767 - 68. Possibly designed by
John Carr of York, carpenter Mr Will Rowland, carver Mr Shillito and plasterer
Mr Henderson. Designed for Sir William St. Quintin, 4th Baronet. C19 and C20

Listing NGR: SE8725074483

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.