History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Offley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Offley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9251 / 51°55'30"N

Longitude: -0.3353 / 0°20'7"W

OS Eastings: 514569

OS Northings: 226485

OS Grid: TL145264

Mapcode National: GBR H66.62L

Mapcode Global: VHGNR.4WL2

Entry Name: Great Offley House

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295486

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163117

Location: Offley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Offley

Built-Up Area: Great Offley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Offley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Offley

Listing Text

OFFLEY KINGS WALDEN ROAD
TL 1426 (West side)
Great Offley

13/107 Great Offley House
-
GV II

House. Late medieval former open hall house now middle range, floor and
chimney inserted in hall in early C17, rear extension mid/late C17, new
brick E range early/mid C18 with front re-windowed and modernised 1802
(date on rainwater heads). Timber framed middle range and part of W
range cased in red brick, E front of red brick with some blue brick,
tuck pointed. Steep old red tile roofs. A larger rectangular house of 2
storeys, cellars and attics facing E, comprising 3 parallel ranges. E
front 3 windows wide with flat gauged arches to each floor. 3 gabled
dormers on roofslope with 2-lights casement windows. Triple-sash windows
with small panes on both floors, but single sash window with 6/6 panes
over the central entrance. Pilastered doorcase with fluted consoles,
entablature and round headed fanlight to half-glazed double doors in
panelled reveals. Dated rainwater heads. E range has internal gable
chimneys and 2 rooms separated by the entrance and stair hall. Entrance
at rear to middle range on line of original cross-passage. This range is
of 3 structural bays originally with hall bay central and service bay to
S open to the roof, and 2 storeys N parlour bay. Clasped-purlin roof
with smoke-blackened rafters and long curved wind-braces. Stair probably
in NE corner. When internal chimney built blocking cross-passage and
hall floored it became a lobby-entry house and S room became parlour
with fireplace and N room a service room. A low single-storey service
wing was later added at SW. C18 E range addition was first use of brick
walling. Newels to attic stair have 'patera' finials also found at Wards
Farmhouse, Lilley. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL1456926485

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.