History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II* Listed Building in Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9614 / 51°57'41"N

Longitude: -0.2189 / 0°13'7"W

OS Eastings: 522476

OS Northings: 230712

OS Grid: TL224307

Mapcode National: GBR J72.ZDV

Mapcode Global: VHGNM.5Y4R

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 27 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295503

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161932

Location: Letchworth Garden City, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG6

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Letchworth South East

Parish: Letchworth Garden City

Built-Up Area: Letchworth Garden City

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Willian

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Letchworth

Listing Text

WILLIAN ROAD
1.
5255
(south side)
Willian
The Old Vicarage
TL 23 SW 1/20 27.5.54
II*
2.
Probably earlier C16, altered. Originally 3-bay, lobby entrance house type.
East (chamber) bay retains internal remains of windows to former east gable
and fireplaces on ground and first floors. Lobby entrance with opposing
staircase, whose reconstruction circa 1925 probably involved the removal
of the original hall fireplace. The hall bay was probably altered front
and rear during the C18. The western bay was rebuilt circa 1925 and the
house refenestrated at the same time. A modern kitchen wing has been added
at the east end. Two storeys. Three window front with one window projecting
wings at either end. Timber-framed with panel infill. The former C16 entrance
bay still retains its first floor jetty at side and rear. Thatch roof,
gabled at west end bay and hipped at east end bay. Moulded brick, modern
stacks. Lobby entrance with blocked, 4 centred arched window with 2 lights
at first floor. Internal, former gable windows of east bay mullioned with
ovolo mouldings and stay bars. Two, three and four light casement windows
of circa 1925 with leaded lights. C18 architraved doorway with dentil cornice
and panelled door. Interior with chamfered ceiling beams with tongue stops.
Brick fireplaces; ground floor with C17 segmental brick arch replacing former
lintel; first floor with original; chamfered 4 centred brick arch. (VCH
III p 177; RCHM Herts p 243.)


Listing NGR: TL2247630712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.