This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1943 / 51°11'39"N
Longitude: -2.3929 / 2°23'34"W
OS Eastings: 372638
OS Northings: 143974
OS Grid: ST726439
Mapcode National: GBR 0SS.1TJ
Mapcode Global: VH97K.G7TR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266881
Location: Wanstrow, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Wanstrow
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST74SW WANSTROW CP CLOFORD
6/176 Church of St Mary
Church. C15, rebuilt 1856 in Decorated style, chancel extended in 1869, South porch of 1887. Doulting rubble, tile
roof. Consists of nave, with East chapel and vestry, chancel, West tower, South porch. Tower of 2 stages having
diagonal buttresses to lower stage only, embattled parapet with pinnacles; single 2-light bell chamber opening to each
side; West side carries coat of ares of Horner family. Buttressed 3-bay nave and 4-bay chancel, 2-light pointed head
openings; 3-light East window; all with tracery. Prominent feature of the interior is the wall monument to Sir George
and Lady Horner of 1676; 2 painted three-quarter rustic figures, each under an arch; flanking Classical columns
supporting a pediment, this in turn enclosing a crested cartouche. Nearby a plainer altar tomb to Marice Horner of
1621. C11 tub font.
Listing NGR: ST7263443983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings