This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1223 / 51°7'20"N
Longitude: -0.9006 / 0°54'2"W
OS Eastings: 477039
OS Northings: 136467
OS Grid: SU770364
Mapcode National: GBR C9T.F5D
Mapcode Global: VHDYL.B1RY
Entry Name: Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 18 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143019
Location: Selborne, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU35
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Selborne
Built-Up Area: Oakhanger
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Kingsley with Oakhanger
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 75 NE
2/6 Congregational Chapel
Nonn-conformist chapel. 1820 and 1852. Painted rubble stone, with brick quoins.
Low-pitched hipped slate roof. Rectangular building of 3 bays, with the
addition at the rear of a 4th bay, which is a 2 storeyed house: regular
elevations. The front east has a window on each side of the central entrance;
2-light Gothic casements, doorway with an oval arch and double doors, each of
3 panels with reeding, now protected by a porch with brick side walls, gable
with a slate roof, and boarded front with Gothic arch. Above each window is
a stone plaque with inscription, one giving the date of erection as 1820, and the
other of enlargement in 1852. At each side elevation there are 3 chapel windows,
the easternmost now filled but retaining the frames of the original structure.
The house part is rendered, with a Victorian sash to each face and floor.
Within the chapel there is an inscribed memorial tablet to the founder.
Elliah Butler of Alton.
Other nearby listed buildings