History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hilda

A Grade II Listed Building in Sneaton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4584 / 54°27'30"N

Longitude: -0.6224 / 0°37'20"W

OS Eastings: 489400

OS Northings: 507870

OS Grid: NZ894078

Mapcode National: GBR SJ3W.1K

Mapcode Global: WHGB4.D6TH

Entry Name: Church of St Hilda

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295538

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327640

Location: Sneaton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Sneaton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sneaton St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Sneaton

Listing Text

SNEATON VILLAGE
NZ 80 NE
4/161 Church of St.Hilda
GV II
Church. 1823-25, altered probably c.1910. By Will Hurst for James Wilson
of Sneaton Castle. Herringbone-tooled sandstone on chamfered herringbone-
tooled plinth; sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone-flagged
roof on tower. West tower; 4-bay nave and south porch; chancel. 2-stage
tower, with shouldered angle buttresses, has chamfered slit lights in lower
stage. Upper stage, over triple-chamfered band, has 2-light windows
beneath pointed hood-moulds and uncarved lozenge panels. Moulded project-
ing eaves. Belfry is set-back octagonal lantern with louvred lancets
beneath lucarnes. Squat octagonal spire and wrought iron cross. Gabled
porch, with diagonal buttresses rising to crocketed pinnacles, contains
pointed-arched opening. Panel carved in relief with the Wilson arms over
opening. Carved rectangular panel set in nave wall over porch reads:
THIS CHURCH WAS
ERECTED BY
JAMES WILSON ESQ
LORD OF THE MANOR
1823
Nave windows are of 3 lights with partly-renewed tracery and pointed hood-
moulds. Nave is buttressed and has raised eaves band. Nave north side
repeats south, without doorway. Chancel contains cruciform opening on each
side and angle buttresses to east, that to south-east pinnacled. East end
has 3-light window beneath pointed hoodmould and roll-moulded gable. Win-
dows throughout are Perpendicular style.
Interior. Narrow, pointed, chamfered tower arch. Stilted, pointed chancel
arch with timber screen. Square font, restored 1845, of which only the
angle shafts with scalloped capitals are unrestored. Cartouche of the
Wilson arms in the tower. 1824 hatchment over door. Monuments. On nave
south wall, tablet to James Wilson (d.1830) by H.Hopper: Perpendicular
style tracery and niches with crocketed canopies. On chancel north wall,
dated monument to members of the Chapman family, by T.Bedford of London,
1836: weeping figure in low relief, draped over an urn. Stained glass.
East window of 1927 by Kemp and Tower. Church occupies a prominant hilltop
site, dominating the surrounding countryside.


Listing NGR: NZ8940007870

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.