This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.792 / 51°47'31"N
Longitude: -0.4065 / 0°24'23"W
OS Eastings: 509994
OS Northings: 211570
OS Grid: TL099115
Mapcode National: GBR H7N.L17
Mapcode Global: VHFS0.W7Y3
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163688
Location: Redbourn, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3
District: St. Albans
Civil Parish: Redbourn
Built-Up Area: Redbourn
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Redbourn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 01 SE REDBOURN CHURCH END
TL 11 SW (west side)
4/153 Parish Church of St Mary
Parish Church. Circa 1100 nave and west tower. N aisle c.1140.
Circa 1340 chancel. S. aisle, mid C14; S chancel chapel
and porch 1444-55. Clerestorey c.1478. N aisle c.1497. Flint
rubble with stone and brick dessings. Some reused Roman brick.
East chancel wall in chequered stone and knapped flint; plain
flint to N wall; brick and stone buttresses. Low pitched lead
roofs; chancel with steep plain tile roof. Large 3-stage tower
has straight parapet and small spike. C15 W door and belfry
lights. Flat buttresses; stepped buttress on SW. Billet
courses below belfry. S aisle has very good moulded brick eaves
corbel table with trefoiled arcading, an early dated example.
Porch with moulded stone door arch. S wall with 2 C15 3-light
windows and a 4-centre arched door. Chancel has a 3-light E
window with cusped net tracery, restored 1801. N aisle has 2-
light windows with hood moulds. Clerestorey windows also 2-
light, but with chamfered surrounds.
Interior: N nave arcade is c.1140. 3 drum piers with scalloped
capitals. 2-step arches with outer billet label. S arcade has
octagonal piers and double-chamfer arches. Similar-style W arch.
Chancel arch with moulded and stepped arches, probably before
c.1300. Late C15 nave roof with short crown posts. Good C15 N
aisle roof with moulded beams; similar roof to NE chapel. N
aisle wall has a blocked Norman window. Chancel has, on N wall,
a C14 sedilia with ogee arches and C12 capitals; simple Easter
sepulchre on S wall. Broad 4-centre arch opening to SE chapel.
Very good rood screen of 1478 with pierced and blank traceried
panels, 2 either side of central arch, and a cove of open fan
tracery. Early C18 stone and marble font in W aisle with
baluster-shaped base and shell-like bowl. Brasses: in chancel
to Sir Richard Bede, 1560; in S chapel to Richard Peacock, 1512;
near S door, C.1470. Monuments: N chancel wall, good marble
epitaph to Eignon Bignon and his wife, 1717, by Thomas Bull; a
bust under draped baldacchino, flanked by fluted pilasters. 4
other good late C18 and early C19 smaller wall plaques in
chancel. (RCHM (1910), Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL0999411570
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings