History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stogumber, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1393 / 51°8'21"N

Longitude: -3.2923 / 3°17'32"W

OS Eastings: 309683

OS Northings: 138572

OS Grid: ST096385

Mapcode National: GBR LS.8FQL

Mapcode Global: VH6GW.WMBH

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Last Amended: 21 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295636

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264963

Location: Stogumber, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Stogumber

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Stogumber

Listing Text

ST03NE STOGUMBER CP
VELLOW

5/200 No 5

(The Chantry)
(Previously listed as Vellow
Chantry)

22.5.69

- II*

Chantry chapel, converted to cottage. Early C16, altered and enlarged probably C17, restored mid C20. Red sandstone
random rubble, quoins to West end, thatched roof, stone stack left gable end large external stepped stone stack right
gable end with raking buttress and brick stack. Plan: barrel vaulted chantry chapel subsequently ceiled with 2 storey
addition at East end. North front: one and a half storeys, 2-light dormer casement in addition left, groundfloor small
glazed opening left of butt joint, right 2-light hollow chamfered mullioned casement window with Tudor arched head
chamfered doorway, thatched hooded porch and C20 plank door. Interior: main feature is 4 x 4 compartment moulded ribbed
barrel vaulted ceiling, moulded wall plate; blocked Tudor arched head to window on South wall, steeply chamfered beam
with step and runout stops at East end of original building. The Chapel of Our Lady Sweetwell at Vellow was licenced
1542. (Photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 5 forthcoming).


Listing NGR: ST0968338572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.