History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Heslerton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1718 / 54°10'18"N

Longitude: -0.6037 / 0°36'13"W

OS Eastings: 491243

OS Northings: 476012

OS Grid: SE912760

Mapcode National: GBR SN76.28

Mapcode Global: WHGCH.PDPN

Entry Name: Old Rectory

Listing Date: 14 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329357

Location: Heslerton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Heslerton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: West Heslerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
West Heslerton

Listing Text

HESLERTON WEST HESLERTON VILLAGE
SE 97 NW
5/18 Old Rectory
GV II
Rectory, now house. 1818 with C20 alteration and extension. Pink brick,
with front in Flemish bond, the rest in English garden wall bond. Sandstone
ashlar dressings and slate roof. Central stairhall plan, 3 rooms deep. 2-
storey 3-window front. Original front door replaced by C20 glazed porch.
12-pane sashes flank porch and first-floor windows are unequal 9-pane
sashes. Stone sills to all windows and wedge lintels to all openings,
including front door. Painted triglyph eaves band. Boxed eaves. Left
return: 2 storeys, 3 windows. Windows and other details repeat those on
main front. Right return: originally repeated left return: full-height
gabled extension added right of centre. First-floor windows on each side of
extension replaced by C20 crosses. Ridge stacks to both parallel rear
ranges of roof, at right-angles to front range. All ranges hipped with
ironwork scrolls at the corners. Interior: open-string straight staircase
with shaped tread ends, stick balusters, and moulded handrail, wreathed at
foot. Balustrade continues around stairwell on first floor. First-floor
landing lit by overhead lantern. Entrance hall divided by pilastered
segmental arch with moulded imposts. Ground-floor room on left has 2 niches
framed by similar arches. Fielded panelled shutters and window recesses
throughout ground floor. Original firegrates survive in all first-floor
main rooms. C20 extensions not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SE9124376012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.