History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dinthill Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7091 / 52°42'32"N

Longitude: -2.8476 / 2°50'51"W

OS Eastings: 342830

OS Northings: 312715

OS Grid: SJ428127

Mapcode National: GBR BD.2HLQ

Mapcode Global: WH8BS.757H

Entry Name: Dinthill Hall

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259076

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side)
SJ 41 SW
9/16 Dinthill Hall
29.1.52
GV II*

Small country house. Dated 1734 (rainwater heads), for Leighton and Anne
Griffiths. Mid-to late C18 addition. Red brick with painted sandstone
ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, 2-span to right. L-plan with service
wing to west and later infill block at rear. Two storeys and attic over
basement with 2-storey addition and service wing of one storey and gable-
lit attic. North front: plinth with moulded stone top, chamfered stone
quoins, moulded stone cornice, broken forward over quoins, and parapet with
moulded stone coping. Tall integral brick end stacks with panels to front
and oversailing caps; gable-end parapets to rear of stacks. Three dormers
with 2-light wooden casements and triangular pediments. Six bays; glazing
bar sashes with moulded stone cills and gauged-brick heads with raised
keystones. Central C18 oak door with 10 raised and fielded panels and
doorcase with moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, flanking panelled
pilasters, and scrolled brackets supporting a segmental pediment, with
cornice broken back to centre. Flanking narrow 8-pane sashes. Door
approached by 7 grey sandstone steps with moulded nosings and flanking
plain wrought-iron railings, curving outwards at base to cast-iron end
balusters. Fire insurance plate above doorway. Right-hand gable end with
first-floor segmental-headed boxed glazing bar sash to right, and left-hand
gable end with first-floor segmental-headed boxed glazing bar sash to left
and ground-floor glazing bar sash to left with stone cill and gauged-brick
head. Each gable end has C18 cast rainwater head, superscribed:
G with moulded cornice above and mask below; C20 downpipes. Rear
L A wing: moulded wooden eaves cornice, parapeted gable end with moulded
1734 stone coping and square brick ridge stack to rear. East front:
gabled dormer with 4-pane sash. Four bays; first-floor boxed
glazing bar sashes. Large ground-floor bow with coped parapet and tri-
partite glazing bar sash with stone cill and lintel. Small C18 glazing
bar sash to right. C18 door to west with 8 raised and fielded panels (top
2 glazed) with moulded architrave and bracketed hood. Gable end with
segmental-headed 2-light attic window, first-floor boxed 8-pane glazing bar
sash to left and pair of ground-floor boxed 4-pane sashes. Late C18 block
in angle at rear (see straight joint to west) with parapeted gable end and
stack in valley. Two bays; segmental-headed glazing bar sashes (boxed
to right) with stone cills. Left-hand ground-floor window replaced with
casement. Service block to west: roof hipped to front. Parapeted gable
end to rear with moulded stone coping, and central large square brick ridge
stack. East side with pair of wooden cross windows to right (right-hand
one partially obscured by later linking range) and door to left with 6 raised
and fielded panels, pegged frame and bracketed flat hood. Gable end to rear
with segmental-headed wooden cross window to attic and ground-floor window
altered with inserted C20 casement. Wooden cross window and small 2-light
wooden casement to west. One-storey link to main block has (probably
relocated) C18 oak door with 10 raised and fielded panels. Interior of house:
mostly c.1734 with some early C19 alterations. Entrance hall: reordered
C17-type oak panelling. Husk garland around ceiling rose. Fireplace to rear
with beaded round arch and cast-iron stove. Left- and right-hand ground-floor
rooms with moulded cornices. Left-hand ground-floor rear room, remodelled
in the early C19,with moulded cornice, coving,and doors with reeded
architraves. Cast-iron stove to rear wing, by W. Howe & Sons Ltd.,
Shrewsbury, set in a chamfered segmental-arched fireplace. C18 dog-leg
oak staircase to rear wing, rising to attic, with landings, open string
with cut brackets, barleysugar balusters (3 to each tread of lower flights
and 2 to upper flights), and ramped moulded handrail wreathed with quarter
splay to unfluted columnular foot newel. Columnular foot newel to upper
flight too. Panelling to side of lower flight. Left-hand front bedroom:
C17-type oak panelling. C18 raised and fielded panelling to fireplace wall,
with dado rail and moulded cornice. Fireplace with Delft-type tiled
reveals, Purbeck marble surround with raised and fielded panels and imposts,
and moulded wooden cornice. Doors flanking fireplace. Right-hand front
bedroom: dado panelling and moulded cornice. Fireplace with marble slip,
lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Dressing rooms
to rear of each front bedroom, that to left with C17-type panelling and
moulded cornice. Left-hand rear bedroom: C17-type oak panelling. Fire-
place with beaded marble surround, cast-iron basket grate with Neo-Classical
ornament, and raised and fielded panelling above. C18 doors throughout,
with 6 raised and fielded panels, L-hinges, panelled reveals and moulded
architraves. Dinthill was the Griffiths family house from the beginning
of the C18 until the beginning of the early C19 when it passed to the
Wingfields. The front sashes are probably late C18 replacements of early
C18 boxed sashes (which still survive in the rear wing), and the outer
ground-floor windows were also probably cut down at the same time). The
Hall is approached by a long tree-lined avenue from the north. B.O.E.
p. 121; H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners (1924),
pp. 25-35.


Listing NGR: SJ4283012715

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.