History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shrewsbury Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bicton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7161 / 52°42'57"N

Longitude: -2.8282 / 2°49'41"W

OS Eastings: 344153

OS Northings: 313482

OS Grid: SJ441134

Mapcode National: GBR BF.1VTK

Mapcode Global: WH8BL.JZGN

Entry Name: Shrewsbury Lodge

Listing Date: 23 February 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295728

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259074

Location: Bicton, Shropshire, SY3

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Bicton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Bicton Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Bicton

Listing Text

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side)
SJ 41 SW
SJ 4415 1348
9/14 Shrewsbury Lodge
23.2.83
- II

Entrance lodge. Circa 1815-20, by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury for John
Wingfield. Rendered brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate
roof. Cruciform plan. In a Greek Revival style. One storey. Continuous
frieze and overhanging eaves. Central rendered square ridge stack with
moulded stone cornice. 1:3:1 bays; windows with stone cills (boarded at
time of survey - January 1987). Central 3-bay Doric portico with 2 columns
in antis (one column is in fragments on the ground nearby at the time of
survey), entablature and triangular pediment. Six-panelled door behind
portico. One-bay end walls, with single windows and triangular pedimented
gables. Interior not inspected. This was formerly the principal lodge to
Onslow Hall, also of c.1815-20 by Edward Haycock in a Greek Revival style,
and demolished c.1957. Formerly listed under Bicton Heath. The stable
block (q.v.), garden wall and attached dovecote survive. B.O.E. p. 222;
Colvin, p. 406.


Listing NGR: SJ4415313482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.