History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory, with Boundary Wall Attached to South-East Corner

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashill, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9515 / 50°57'5"N

Longitude: -2.9669 / 2°58'0"W

OS Eastings: 332177

OS Northings: 117336

OS Grid: ST321173

Mapcode National: GBR M7.N66F

Mapcode Global: FRA 46NL.KZB

Entry Name: The Old Rectory, with Boundary Wall Attached to South-East Corner

Listing Date: 29 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295733

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263907

Location: Ashill, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ashill

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ashill

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Broadway

Listing Text

ASHILL CP ASHILL VILLAGE
ST31NW

2/10 The Old Rectory, with boundary
wall attached to south-east corner
-

- II*

Former rectory. Some C16 fragments; house remodelled c1800 and by Revd Mickleburgh 1833, re-roofed c1900. Local lias
stone rubble, dressed quoins and Ham stone dressings; mostly plain clay tile roofs, but north crosswing has double
Roman tiles, mostly with overhung gables, replacing thatch; yellow brick chimney stacks. Built on a curve, with
projection to east and with north crosswing; roadside elevation 5 bays, of which bays 2 and 3 are set back. Bay 1 is
the crosswing gable, with a tall pointed-arched window with 'Y'-tracing, lower part now blocked; bays 2 & 3 masked by
stone wall having plain boarded doors in heavy frames, with glazed roof over yard behind; upper bay 2 has a 2-light
4-centre arched Y-traceried window with label, containing stained glass; bay 4 has a 3-light hollow-chamfer mullioned
window, with pointed-arched light having incised spandrils, under square label, and above a small 3-light casement with
small rendered gable over, both windows diamond-leaded; to bay 5 another tall 'Y'-traceried window with transome and
square-stop label, diamond-leaded with thick cases to upper portion; above a gable with a stretched quatrefoil window,
and to each side of this bay blind pointed arches of nearly same height. East, garden, elevation of 6 bays, of which
bays 1 and 6 project: bay 1 has 4-centre-arched 'Y'-tracery windows to both levels, with quatrefoil light in gable, the
corners of the wing have deep chamfers; bay 2 and 4 have similar windows below and C20 casements above set in gables;
Bay 3 has a cross-traceried ogee-arched doorway with Gothic door, and 2-light mullioned window above; bay 5 has a
single-storey projection with flat roof behind battlemented parapet, with arched recesses to south and east faces with
C20 door in former, and in the latter a C19 circular window; bay 6 is the gable end of the crosswing, with
'Y'-traceried window and 4-centre-arched doorway to left. Inside, much work must be of the 1833 reshaping, but some is
earlier; the doors have pointed arched panels; the staircase of c1800; in the lower room; of the crosswing much Gothic
revival timberwork, but the ceiling appears to be late C16, 8 panelled with moulded beads having a few C19 repairs; the
south-east root has convex curved outer corners and a fine Gothic decorated plasterwork ceiling. General history of
building unclear, although at one stage there were 3 cottages, with a prebendary house to the north, demolished in the
C19: it was re-roofed c1900 after fire destroyed the thatched Ashill Inn opposite; it was sold by the Diocese in 1958.
Attached to the south-east corner of the house the south boundary wall, of late C19 in local stone ruble, with slim
near-ashlar piers, about 2 metres high, and capped with cast-iron railings having ogee-arched work and barbed top
points, and recessed pedestrian gate in centre, all adding to the setting of the house and the streetscene generally in
the centre of the village,


Listing NGR: ST3217717336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.