This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6966 / 53°41'47"N
Longitude: -1.1186 / 1°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 458293
OS Northings: 422596
OS Grid: SE582225
Mapcode National: GBR NTMP.MM
Mapcode Global: WHDC9.SBJZ
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 11 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295734
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326475
Location: Hensall, Selby, North Yorkshire, DN14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hensall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Snaith
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
HENSALL CHURCH LANE
SE 52 SE
3/2 Church of St Paul
Church. 1854 with later alterations. Architect: William Butterfield;
patron: 7th Viscount Downe; builder: Charles Ward of Lincoln. Pinkish-red
brick in English bond with ashlar dressings and grey slate roof. 4-bay
aisled nave incorporating south-west porch and 3-stage north-west bell
tower, 2-bay chancel with single-bay south chapel and 2-bay north vestry.
Aesthetic Functionalism. Nave. Entrance to south porch a pointed,
chamfered archway under hoodmould; within a pointed plank door in double-
chamfered surround. Further entrance to north at base of tower, a plank
door within pointed surround under pointed ashlar arch. Tower has gabled
stair turret to west side and has slit windows; to narrower third stage are
twin-light bell openings with Geometrical-type tracery. Cogged eaves band,
pyramidal roof. 4-light pointed west window with intersecting tracery.
Aisles have triple-stepped cusped lancet windows within ashlar surrounds.
South aisle has stepped external chimney to third bay which has been
lowered. Chancel: south side and north vestry have 2-light mullion casement
windows. East end of vestry has 2-light Geometrical-type window. East
window of 3 lights with Geometrical-type tracery to head within pointed
ashlar surround. Sweeping roofline in 2 levels. Interior retains most
original features but is of plain design. Nave has pointed arcade on
cylindrical piers with moulded capitals and bases. Double-chamfered pointed
chancel arch on corbelled soffit moulding. Pointed piscina. Floor tiles by
Minton. Contemporary pews; painted screen to south chapel; organ; octagonal
pulpit; octagonal font. Mosaic reredos, restored in 1970. Some windows
have stained glass. Conceived as a group with The Red House (qv) and
Hensall Primary School (qv) and with similar groups at Cowick and
Pollington. N Pevsner, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 261-262. H S
Papworth, The Parish Church of Hensall (dissertation). P Thompson, William
Butterfield, 1971, pp 217 and 430.
Listing NGR: SE5829322596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.