This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1354 / 54°8'7"N
Longitude: -1.5213 / 1°31'16"W
OS Eastings: 431372
OS Northings: 471171
OS Grid: SE313711
Mapcode National: GBR KNTM.F9
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.LBR1
Entry Name: The Old Courthouse
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330148
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3171 RIPON MINSTER ROAD
1/10 (north side)
The Old Courthouse
Probably mediaeval, although neither the roof structure nor any masonry details offer
secure evidence for its dating. Hammer-dressed stone. Pantiled and sprocketed
roofs. Extension to south has timber-framed first floor. Two storeys. Three bays
plus the extension. One round-arched doorway at north end, probably C18 or C19, now
blocked, but formerly with an iron studded door. C19 2-centred arched door on first
floor approached by flight of steps with simple iron balustrade. One old slit window
on ground floor, otherwise C18 or C19 casements and sashes.
Interior. Court room remaining on first floor. Ground floor cells with iron-plated
ceilings, and 2 iron studded doors.
History. Probably built as the Court house of the Archbishop of York's Liberty of
Ripon, close by the Archiepiscopal Palace (see 27 Kirkgate, qv). In the C18 it had
become the Liberty gaol (earliest reference 1713: see Ripon Millenary). In the C19 it
may have become the Debtors' Prison (to which there are various references in the
1830s and 1840s) as the name of Thomas Harrison, who was gaoler of the Debtor's
Prison, appears scratched on the walls.
Listing NGR: SE3137271171
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings