This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8124 / 51°48'44"N
Longitude: -0.355 / 0°21'17"W
OS Eastings: 513498
OS Northings: 213920
OS Grid: TL134139
Mapcode National: GBR H7J.72Y
Mapcode Global: VHFRV.SPPZ
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 21 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163599
Location: Harpenden, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5
District: St. Albans
Civil Parish: Harpenden
Built-Up Area: Harpenden
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Harpenden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 11 SW HARPENDEN LEYTON ROAD
5/65 No 27 (The Old House)
House. Built in the late C16 as an inn. Late C17 and early C18
extensions. Circa 1840 block on the front left. Early part is
timber frame, the framing exposed at rear. Roughcast.
Bricknogging. Plain tile steep-pitched roof. T plan, the cross
bar of the T with gable end to road and deeply jettied on the
upper floor. Front ground and 1st floor with 4 and 3 light
C18/19 leaded casements. Towards the rear of the main range is a
large late-C17 red brick chimney stack with square base and 4
octagonal shafts on stepped bases. Thin brick arrises between
the shafts. Projecting from the centre of the N side of the
range is a late C17 stair turret with original 1st floor casement
band and below this a C17 mullioned and transomed leaded window.
To the right of the stair turret there is a late-C16 2-light
mullioned casement on the ground floor. The front left extension
is painted brick with slate roof. Rounded bay Window on left
side with 3 recessed sash windows on each floor. 1 8/8-pane sash
window above replacement door. Internally, the main range is 4
equal bays. Wide inglenooks either side of brick stack, both
with roll-moulded bressumers. Door arches on S side of stack
have 4-centre heads with carved spandrels. Wide-plank C16/17
doors. The hall was formerly on the W side of the stack. The
upper floor rooms preserve original door arches cut into the tie
beams, formerly a connecting corridor between the rooms. 1 C16
bay in centre of S side; C17 stack inserted in gable end.
Beyond this is a 3-bay late C17/early C18 barn range with queen
post roof. Formerly the Bull Inn. A well preserved example of
an early inn. (RCHM (1910); RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL1349813920
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings