This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52 / 51°59'59"N
Longitude: 0.0143 / 0°0'51"E
OS Eastings: 538378
OS Northings: 235421
OS Grid: TL383354
Mapcode National: GBR K8B.JG6
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.6ZFP
Entry Name: 106, High Street
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Last Amended: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295769
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162504
Location: Barkway, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barkway
Built-Up Area: Barkway
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barkway
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BARKWAY HIGH STREET
TL 3835 (West side)
9/50 No. 106
27.5.68 (formerly listed as
Nos. 104 and 106)
House. Early C16, part rebuilt and extended c.1600. Stair wing added and
stack rebuilt mid C17. Cased and altered mid C19, further extended C20.
Timber frame, cased in white brick. Tiled roofs. 2 bay hall range with 2
projecting cross wings to form an H on plan. All 2 storeys. Original
service wing to right incorporated cross passage with entrance to left,
formerly jettied on 3 sides. Ground floor: panelled door and a 16 pane
sash, recessed with cambered heads. First floor horizontal sliding sash
to eaves of hipped roof. Hall range rebuilt c.1600 with a slightly
higher ridge. Ground floor: 16 pane recessed sash to left replacing a
lobby entry, to right a canted bay window, sashed with tiled head, above
this a horizontal sliding sash. Wall plate visible at eaves. On ridge to
left a large C17 axial stack with rebuilt conjoined diagonal shafts.
c.1600 upper cross wing to left is yet taller and gable fronted. Former
shop on ground floor, entrance with a horizontally divided door and a
large 3 light small pane casement shop window all under a bracketed flat
hood. First floor horizontal sliding sash, bargeboards. Black brick
capped plinth throughout. 3 bay left return with entrance to front,
horizontal sliding sashes. Internal end stack and some C18 red brick to
rear gable end, whitewashed right return. To rear of hall range is a low
short C17 gabled stair wing. Set back to right is a 2 storey 1 bay C20
addition with a hipped roof at same height as early cross wing.
Interior: reverse curved brace and dragon beam in early cross wing.
Listing NGR: TL3837835421
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings