This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0745 / 54°4'28"N
Longitude: -0.8808 / 0°52'50"W
OS Eastings: 473331
OS Northings: 464860
OS Grid: SE733648
Mapcode National: GBR QP9B.35
Mapcode Global: WHFBM.FVTB
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329508
Location: Crambe, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Crambe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Crambe St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 76 SW CRAMBE TOWN GREEN
7/18 Church of St. Michael
Church. Late C11 nave and chancel with C13 and C14 inserted windows, C15
tower and C19 restoration. Nave and chancel of sandstone and gritstone
rubble, including some pieces of re-used Roman masonry. Tower of pale
limestone ashlar. West tower, nave, 2-bay chancel. Buttressed tower of 3
stages divided by string courses. Round-headed door in moulded arch with
headstops to hoodmould beneath round-headed S-light Perpendicular window
with human and grotesque headstops. Twin round-headed belfry windows to
each face beneath battlemented parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles.
Inscription on north face reads "DIEV TEMPLE YARD ET GARDE DE ROY." The
nave has lancets to west with large grotesque to left of that to south wall.
To north a restored pointed doorway. To south a blocked round-headed
doorway. East of these doors are 2 deeply-splayed round-headed windows, the
head of that to south being of a single stone enriched with interlace
carving. To east end of nave 2 heavily restored 2-light windows in
Decorated style. Grave slab built into jamb of that to south reads
"HIC INFRA JACIT CORPUS THO STUBLEY ANNO 1602". To the south of the much
restored chancel, a pointed doorway flanked by 2 single-light trefoil-headed
windows. A fragment of a C10 hogsback is built into the southern wall. To
north a single-light trefoil-headed window and a small round-headed window.
The east window is C19 in Decorated style and the east wall has fragments of
a C13 incised floriate cross grave slab built into it. Interior contains a
late C12 font with square bowl with intersecting round-arched arcade on each
side, carried by central pillar with 4 corner shafts each with waterleaf
capitals. Grotesques to springers of tower arch. Early C17- pulpit with
carved panels and altar rails. Pevsner, "Yorkshire: the North Riding" 1966.
Kirk G, "Crambe Church" in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol 25. 1920.
Listing NGR: SE7333464861
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings