History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Carew Arms and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Crowcombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1238 / 51°7'25"N

Longitude: -3.2324 / 3°13'56"W

OS Eastings: 313848

OS Northings: 136776

OS Grid: ST138367

Mapcode National: GBR LV.9JY1

Mapcode Global: VH6H3.X0JV

Entry Name: The Carew Arms and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 22 May 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295786

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265099

Location: Crowcombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Crowcombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Crowcombe

Listing Text

ST1336 CROWCOMBE CP

15/50 The Carew Arms and attached
outbuilding
22.5.69

GV II

Inn. Mid C18 enlarged early and mid C19. Roughcast over rubble, roughcast render has been removed and the random
rubble wall is being repointed, quoin strips distinguish inn, slate roofs, brick stacks gable ends of inn,
independently roofed outbuilding to East, hipped to right, brick stack set in one bay right with lower ridge linked to
inn. Plan: 3 cell and cross passage enlarged to U plan with detached out- buildings linked by one bay addition early
C19. 2 storeys, long 3 bay facade outbuilding, inn 1:4 bays with early C19 3-light leaded casements, central C18 plank
door with studs, flat roofed wooden porch on slender pilasters with splayed plinthes and dwarf walls; outbuilding first
floor 2-light casements flanking loft door, ground floor plank door, 3-light casement flanking plank door and double
doors. Early C19 painted inn sign on wrought iron support. Interior: flag stones in cross passage and front room
left, which is relatively unaltered. This building is recorded as The Lions, or 3 Lions, 1747 and became the Carew Arms
1824. (VCH, Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming).


Listing NGR: ST1384836776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.