History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnley, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9282 / 53°55'41"N

Longitude: -1.6772 / 1°40'37"W

OS Eastings: 421296

OS Northings: 448059

OS Grid: SE212480

Mapcode National: GBR JRQ0.PL

Mapcode Global: WHC8R.6JMD

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330474

Location: Farnley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Farnley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Farnley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leathley

Listing Text

SE 24 NW FARNLEY FARNLEY LANE
(west side, off)

4/6 Church of All Saints
-

-
II


Church of All Saints. Rebuilt 1851 for the Rev. Ayscough Fawkes, rector of
Leathley and lord of the manor of Farnley. Gritstone rubble with ashlar,
graduated thin slate roof. 5-bay nave and chancel in one, bellcote at west
gable, south porch in bay 2. Narrow Early English style arch to porch;
lancet windows with hood-moulds. 3-light lancet window at east end,
containing some C17 stained glass. Interior: west gallery with small vestry
below. Squire's family seats at west end; other pews also probably
original. Roof supported on slender roll-moulded upper crucks. Part of the
north wall of the C13 chapel which stood on the site survives; most of the
wall stones were re-used in the 1851 restoration. The stained glass has
heraldic panels by Henry Gyles of York and was removed from Hawksworth Hall
to Farnley Hall and from there to the church when it was restored. There is
a drawing by J M W Turner at Farnley Hall of the glass in a window there.
Further information in H Speight, Upper Wharfedale, London, 1900.


Listing NGR: SE2129648059

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.