History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

34, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Buntingford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9477 / 51°56'51"N

Longitude: -0.0195 / 0°1'10"W

OS Eastings: 536216

OS Northings: 229543

OS Grid: TL362295

Mapcode National: GBR K8W.V6W

Mapcode Global: VHGNX.M92Q

Entry Name: 34, High Street

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Last Amended: 6 July 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295906

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159759

Location: Buntingford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buntingford

Built-Up Area: Buntingford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Layston with Buntingford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 3629 BUNTINGFORD HIGH STREET
(east side)

7/17 No 34
(formerly listed as No 34
19.10.51 (George & Dragon Inn)

GV II


Inn, now shops and offices. Late C18 or early C19 rebuilding of
a C17 building. Grey gault brick painted white with slate roof.
Red tiled roof to long rear wing at SE with part weatherboarded
1st floor, over painted brick. A 2-storeys L-shaped building with
W street range 4 windows long and eliptical-arched carriageway to
yard under 2nd window from S. Massive red brick rear chimney at
NE marks junction of former NE rear wing. Front has box eaves
with moulded gutter, recessed sash windows to 1st floor, with 6/6
panes and gauged flat arches, archway in a projecting full-height
brick panel a C20 small neo-Georgian shopfront with fascia at
each end of front, and a triple-sash window to left of archway,
and segmental arch to cellar under. Black boarded double doors
to archway. Delicate margin-light glazed screen in rear wing
next carriageway. C18 half glazed raised and fielded door into N
part. Formerly The George & Dragon Inn. (RCHM (1911) 140 No
10).


Listing NGR: TL3622529544

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.