This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7022 / 51°42'7"N
Longitude: -0.4636 / 0°27'48"W
OS Eastings: 506270
OS Northings: 201501
OS Grid: TL062015
Mapcode National: GBR G7D.9LW
Mapcode Global: VHFSC.XG8Y
Entry Name: Sunbury Hill Farm
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Last Amended: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157700
Location: Kings Langley, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4
Civil Parish: Kings Langley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: King's Langley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
KINGS LANGLEY WATFORD ROAD
TL 00 SE (West side)
7/169 Sunbury Hill Farm
26.1.67 (formerly listed as
Kings Langley Lodge
Farmhouse) (1500m along
track by Clapgate Farm)
Farmhouse, now a private house. Late C15 2 storeys crosswing of former
open hall house probably for keeper of royal park of Langley (with
reused post of C13/C14 aisled building), C17 kitchen wing at W and
2-storeys part on site of hall, enlarged to E, refronted on S and new
stair in early C18, renovated and recorded c.1977. Timber frame
roughcast at rear (N) and E end, red brick front to both parts and
attached brick W stable range with loft over. Steep old red tile roofs.
A 2-storeys and cellar square house facing S with 2-storeys kitchen
and stable range set back to LH, and external end chimneys.
Assymetrical formal S front with plinth, moulded brick floor band and
eaves cornice with parapet above. Segmental gauged brick arches to 3
windows on each floor with raised keyblock to the ground floor windows
flanking the door and sunk decoration to central voussoirs of arch to
recess above door. 3-light transomed casement windows slightly recessed
with single-light windows next RH corner. 4 stone steps to 4-panel door
with rectangular fanlight, heavy frame, and moulded flat hood on heavy
shaped brackets. Stucco plinth and small-paned casement windows to rear,
and 16 storeys outshut with gabled dormer. Interior has a large round
headed recessed cupboard on the axis of the front door in the form of a
coved niche with shaped shelves, raised and fielded panel doors, wide
arched architrave with scrolled keystone and entablature breaking
forward in centre. Head of cove painted with classical subject c.1725
where a rider on a horse leans over to lead another horse by the bridle.
Contemporary stair lit from W with moulded closed string, turned
balusters, moulded handrail and panelled sides. Panelled window
shutters. Recorded timber structure now visible in roofspace and a
storeroom at NW of 1st floor. An unusually lofty 2 storeys C15 structure
23ft to eaves and 30ft x 15ft with 2 rooms on each floor with central
stair bay (newel survives) and 4-light window to W formerly lighting
door from stair. Large 1st floor N room spanned by chamfered arch-braced
collar beam truss to clasped-purlin roof with arched windbraces.
Close-spaced wide wall studs. King-strut and collar truss to other room
with curved windbraces to clasped purlin. No evidence for original
chimneys. (VCH(1914)237-8: KLLHMS Report: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL0627001501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings