This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0625 / 51°3'45"N
Longitude: -1.3149 / 1°18'53"W
OS Eastings: 448105
OS Northings: 129464
OS Grid: SU481294
Mapcode National: GBR 861.BCN
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.TTY
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295959
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144853
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
869/6/262 THE SQUARE
24-MAR-50 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
Town church, just off the High Street, the exterior almost wholly obscured by adjacent buildings. C13 doorway. Rebuilding of the church is recorded in 1475-7. It was used as a school in the C17 and restored to use as a church in 1672. Thorough refurbishment following a serious fire in 1978. MATERIALS: Knapped flint with freestone quoins, partly rendered, tiled roofs. PLAN: Nave and chancel in one; W tower/porch.
EXTERIOR: Externally all that can be seen of the church is part of the W face of the tower, the upper stage of the S face can be seen from The Square and is an important element in the townscape close to Winchester Cathedral. The upper parts are rendered with ashlar quoins exposed. The porch tower has a moulded W doorway with a 2-light Decorated style traceried window above. The upper windows of the tower are 2-light and chamfered in square-headed frames. The tower has an embattled parapet and a SW stair turret rising above the tower roof as an octagonal turret with embattled parapet.
INTERIOR: The interior is an almost square single space dominated by a large stained glass east window and the unusual vernacular roof with a completely plain finish, dating from c1672. The roof has 4 tie beam trusses with a king post with diagonal and horizontal struts, and 2 tiers of purlins. Organ gallery in the tower. C13 doorway in N wall. Remains of small slit window in the W wall. Three puzzling high-set blind arches in the E wall, all ogee-headed, one cusped. The S wall has a chamfered aumbrey with pyramid stops. 1860 Caen stone font with carved octagonal stone bowl with fleurons carved under the bowl and an octagonal stem. Panelled dado to walls, mostly C20, with C17 style dado to the N and S walls at the E end commemorating individuals who died in World War I. Choir stalls with poppyhead ends. The church also has a number of wall monuments, including some of C18 date.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The Church of St Lawrence has special interest as a small town church with medieval origins and an unusual vernacular roof, with completely plain finish, dating from c1672. A number of wall monuments also add significance as they testify to the continuing importance of the church to its community. A C17 style dado also functions as a memorial to individuals who died in the First World War.
SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, 1967, p692
The Rector and Churchwardens, The Church of Lawrence-in-the Square,Winchester, n.d.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings