History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spring Hill School

A Grade II Listed Building in North Stainley with Sleningford, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1525 / 54°9'9"N

Longitude: -1.5374 / 1°32'14"W

OS Eastings: 430311

OS Northings: 473066

OS Grid: SE303730

Mapcode National: GBR KNPF.Y6

Mapcode Global: WHC7N.CW4G

Entry Name: Spring Hill School

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Last Amended: 11 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1295968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331093

Location: North Stainley with Sleningford, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: North Stainley with Sleningfor

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

NORTH YORKSHIRE
HARROGATE
5338

SE 37 SW NORTH STAINLEY WITH A 6108
SLENINGFORD (west side, off)

6/89 Spring Hill School (formerly
listed as Episcopal Palace -
24.1.86 now part of Spring Hill School)

GV II


Former palace of the Bishops of Ripon, now school, with attached chapel.
Palace 1841, chapel completed 1847. Ashlar, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys,
main range with 7 first-floor windows, recessed service block to right with
3 first-floor windows and enclosed yard to right; a covered passage with
doorway in north side links the service block to the 4-bay chapel which
projects at right-angles to the house. Palace in Jacobean style, chapel in
high Gothic. Main range: glazed door left in 2-storeyed porch with diagonal
buttresses, shields and heraldic beasts. 2- and 3-light round-headed
mullion windows with hood-moulds over. External stack to left of entrance.
Battlemented parapet interrupted by small gables with narrow attic windows.
Large evenly-spaced stacks. Rear: garden entrance in single-storey annexe
with cross-windows. Chapel: large 3-light mullion and transom windows with
Perpendicular tracery to east and south sides. Buttresses, gargoyles and
battlemented parapet. Interior: original doors, door surrounds, staircase
to palace; original chapel fittings survive, including elaborately-carved
screen and stalls. Stable block attached to north-west end of main range -
separately listed.


Listing NGR: SE3031173066

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.