This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2435 / 51°14'36"N
Longitude: -2.272 / 2°16'19"W
OS Eastings: 381112
OS Northings: 149404
OS Grid: ST811494
Mapcode National: GBR 0S5.VTM
Mapcode Global: VH97F.K0RK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 267055
Location: Berkley, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Berkley
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST84NW BERKLEY CP BERKLEY STREET (East side)
8/109 Church of St Mary
Church 1751. Probably by Thomas Prowse of Berkley House. White washed rubble stone work with dressed Doulting stone
quoins, stone slates hipped roof with Doulting ashlar stone work to West tower. Entered through West porch with ringing
floor and bell chamber over, to the South a small vestry, square nave with projecting chancel beyond. Full width
pediment to entrance, semi-circular head to door opening, set in semi-circular recess with imposts and keystone; above,
a plaque, a round headed window with leaded light, square headed, wooden louvred bell openings in all 4-sides;
modillion cornice, ballustraded parapet surmounted with tall corner urns. On either side of tower blocked round headed
openings; to right side a low, stone tiled roof to vestry and prominent stainless steel flue replacing stone chimney
which survives. Triple-light Romanesque East window with C19 stained glass; on North and South sides of nave, central
Ventian windows with relieving arches, rectangular leaded lights; the central window on the North side with stained
glass. To each side, blocked round headed openings. Square, aisled nave with central glazed cupola and octagonal dome
carried on 4 Ionic columns set in a square, surrounded by moulded plaster covered, beaded and compartmented ceiling.
Delicate decorative plasterwork to dome. Ionic pilasters to walls. Stone flagstones with some C19 tiles. In chancel, a
pair of fine C17 carved panel back chairs with arts. Font, lectern, pulpit and pews all mid C19. On East wall of nave a
monumental slab inscribed with a history of Kewborough family from the time of the Conquest until 1680.
Listing NGR: ST8111249404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings