This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2739 / 52°16'26"N
Longitude: -2.183 / 2°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 387610
OS Northings: 263989
OS Grid: SO876639
Mapcode National: GBR 1F7.DXN
Mapcode Global: VH92G.33SN
Entry Name: Falcon Tower About 35 Yards North West of Westwood House
Listing Date: 14 March 1969
Last Amended: 21 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296011
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148138
Location: Westwood, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9
Civil Parish: Westwood
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
SO 86 SE WESTWOOD CP WESTWOOD PARK
4/242 Falcon Tower about
35 yards north-west of
- Westwood House
Garden pavilion, now house. 1660-70 for Sir John Pakington as part of
the major alterations to his grandfather's hunting lodge, Westwood House (qv)
to convert it into the main family home; restored by Sir Reginald Blomfield
early C20 and altered mid-C20. Red brick in English bond with sandstone
ashlar dressings; untouched by classicism apart from fishscale-tiled two-
stage ogee cupola with cut finial. Square plan; three storeys on chamfered
plinth with moulded eaves cornice; stone mullioned and transomed windows to
first floor and 2-light mullioned windows to second floor. Main south
entrance has a studded door and 2-light mullioned window to right; east
elevation has inserted double doors, and the west elevation has a C20
hipped roof, single storey extension and the first floor window is blocked.
Upper north-east corners each have bartizan stone chimneys with octagonal
shafts. There were originally four garden pavilions linked to the main
house and the gate house (qv) by a series of low walls, forming a dramatic
composition as shown by Kip's illustration of c1698. The two westernmost
pavilions and all the enclosures were removed during the C18.
(CL, xii, 689; Lxiv, 50, 94; Lxiii, 1689; cxxxiv, 738; VCH III (i); BoE).
Listing NGR: SO8761263989
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings