This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1362 / 51°8'10"N
Longitude: -3.3383 / 3°20'17"W
OS Eastings: 306463
OS Northings: 138290
OS Grid: ST064382
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.8N3Y
Mapcode Global: VH6GW.3P1V
Entry Name: Court Cottage
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264785
Location: Monksilver, West Somerset, Somerset, TA4
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Monksilver
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST03NE MONKSILVER CP WOODFORD
5/28 Court Cottage
Incorrectly shown on OS map as Woodford Farm. Farmhouse. C16, altered C17, and mid C20. Whitewashed random rubble,
thatched roof, stone stack right gable end, large external stack to left of entrance. 3 cell and cross passage, now 2
cell, stair turret at rear, outshut and C20 addition. one and a half storeys, gabled bay to left of external stack
breaks forward slightly, three 2-light C20 wooden casements with gabled tops, ground floor two 3-light to left of
stack, one to right, small opening in chimney breast now blocked, entrance to right of stack, wooden lintel, depressed
arch doorway, ribbed door, decorative hinges. Rear elevation has 2-light steep chamfered mullioned casement lighting
stairs. Interior: cross passage, restored C17 plank and muntin screeen, depressed arch rear door, now entrance to
bathroom addition, another in outshut. Original kitchen to right, stairs to right of fireplace, chamfered beams with
double stops, to left of cross passage open hall formed from 2 groundfloor rooms with upper floor removed exposing
jointed cruck construction, inserted galley, solid wooden stairs to rear with blocked moulded stairlight, 3 pairs of
jointed cruck trusses. The home of Elizabeth Conibeer and her daughters, whose violent death in 1773 is recorded on the
tombstone in the churchyard of the Church of All Saints, Monksilver. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, April 1975).
Listing NGR: ST0646338290
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings