History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Howe House

A Grade II Listed Building in Pannal, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9713 / 53°58'16"N

Longitude: -1.5794 / 1°34'45"W

OS Eastings: 427684

OS Northings: 452880

OS Grid: SE276528

Mapcode National: GBR KQDJ.V5

Mapcode Global: WHC8L.QF2X

Entry Name: Howe House

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331560

Location: Pannal, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Beckwithshaw

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Beckwithshaw St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Harrogate

Listing Text

NORTH YORKSHIRE
HARROGATE
5338
PANNAL HOWGILL QUARRY ROAD
SE 25 SE (west side, off)

7/56 Howe House

- II

House. Probably 1740 reusing C17 remains, with C20 alterations. Coursed
sandy gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. Of 2 builds: a 2-storey, 2-bay
block with rear outshut to right and a 2-storey, 2-bay quoined block.
Glazed C20 door to Left of right-hand block has massive jambs and lintel.
Windows: right range - two 3-light flat-faced mullion windows to ground
floor, the mullions slightly recessed, 2 recessed chamfered mullion windows,
to first floor. A 2-light flat-faced mullion window to bay 1, to left range
3-light C20 mullion windows bay 2, ground and first floors. Shaped
kneelers, gable copings; banded stacks to left, centre and right of right-
hand block. Rear: reused chamfered mullion windows light outshut left, C20
openings and rear wing centre and right. Interior: the spine beam in the
living room to right of the entrance has the inscription "AB 1740" cut on
the deep chamfer; the fireplace in the room far right has a moulded corniced
shelf. The rear outshut retains stone shelves of the former larder or
dairy; 3 roof trusses with splayed braces visible in upper rooms.


Listing NGR: SE2768452880

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.