History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Chapel, Forecourt Wall, Gate Piers and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Beckington, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2641 / 51°15'50"N

Longitude: -2.2888 / 2°17'19"W

OS Eastings: 379948

OS Northings: 151703

OS Grid: ST799517

Mapcode National: GBR 0RY.Q4Y

Mapcode Global: VH977.8HW8

Entry Name: Baptist Chapel, Forecourt Wall, Gate Piers and Gates

Listing Date: 11 March 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1296104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 266994

Location: Beckington, Mendip, Somerset, BA11

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Beckington

Built-Up Area: Beckington

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Beckington

Listing Text

ST75SE BECKINGTON CP FROME ROAD (West side)

4/47 Baptist Chapel, forecourt wall,
gate piers, and gates

11.3.68

GV II

Baptist chapel, forecourt wall, gate piers and gates. Chapel dated 1786. Random rubble, plain corner pilasters and
pilaster between each bay; moulded cornice, triangular pediment above centre bay, parapet to either side with 4
baluster panels; pyramidal slate roof; central arcaded wooden lantern, bellcast canopy. Symmetrical classical facade.
Two storey frontage, 3 bays, fixed 9-light casements in segmental headed bead moulded surrounds with emphasised
keystones. Central door opening in simularly moulded segmental headed surround with keystone, stone triangular pediment
over. Returns of 3 bays each, similar fenestration. Single storey ashlar outshut to rear, large octagonal roof lantern
with casement to each face. Tympanum of crowing pediment incised with decayed lettering:- "Baptist Chapel, 1786".
Galleried interior entered through panelled entrance lobby; gallery on 3 sides has elaborate bellied cast iron
balustrading, whole supported on 8 slender cast iron columns, trumpet capitals with acanthus decoration. Four wall
monuments of early C19 by Chapman of Frome. Central panelled pulpit reached by a flight of steps to each side, turned
newel posts, ramped handrails. Jacobean communion table on turned legs. Pair of rusticated ashlar gate piers to
forecourt, moulded caps; pair of wrought iron gates with spear heads to plain shafts; wrought iron lamp overthrow.
Coursed rubble wall with segmental coping to each side.


Listing NGR: ST7994851703

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.